The seven-member award review committee consisted of horticulturists, garden book writers and publicists, and one horticultural librarian (me!) from across the country. We met virtually and by conference call in January to review some 40 nominees – it was both an exciting and challenging project.
In response to one of our discussions, I created and shared a list of Miller Library books on urban trees. Several committee members commented on the extent of the list, marveling at the resources in our library. Deb Wiley, a garden writer and editor in Iowa, said: “What a great job you have, Brian!” She is absolutely right.
2017 Book Award Winners
- All the Presidents’ Gardens by Marta McDowell (Timber Press)
- The Bee-Friendly Garden by Kate Frey and Gretchen LeBuhn (Ten Speed Press)
- Garden Revolution by Larry Weaner and Thomas Christopher (Timber Press)
- PLANT by the editors at Phaidon Press (Phaidon Press)
- Rock Gardening by Joseph Tychonievich (Timber Press)